Thursday 24 November 2016

4 Things I learnt today


This morning I attended my first Mother's Den networking brunch. Hands in the air for Uldouz Van Eenoo for creating the most welcoming and warm networking event I have ever been to. Those women are so positive and so excited to meet new people and at the same time, be down-to-earth and share themselves. I could go on, but really, the only way you are going to get where I am coming from is to attend one so sign up to the newsletter and maybe I'll see you next year.

I also attended a talk by Samantha Hornitzky this evening. (I know, get me, out the house without kids twice in one day). Her talk was on daily practices that can make us happier at work, or at least break unproductive thought patterns. It was exceptionally honest and I greatly admired her for that.

Of course, practicing gratitude was mentioned (turns out there are brilliant apps to help you journal that) and in the spirit of self-reflection, I'm recording here some lessons I've learned from today.

1. Iron your shirt the day before hand.*
2. A great way to enter a conversation is to broadcast that you are doing so. If, 'Hi, I thought I'd come over and introduce myself, so I'm crashing this conversation' is not taken well, then they probably aren't my people.
3. Start a positive relationship with yourself: get your phone out, open the voice memo app and give yourself feedback on the day. For example, 'Heather, I thought you were exceptionally organised today but let's work on ironing your shirt the night before.'
4. I am a herd animal and I get my energy from others.

I'm pleased with these lessons. Today was a great day.

*That way you can tell it's stained before you are 5 minutes from catching the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment