Tuesday 8 November 2016

Done is better than perfect


I just watched an interview between Marie Foleo and Seth Godin. There's nothing like listening to Seth to make you take stock and be inspired to cull unimportant shit from your life and use your brain more often.

There were two comments Seth made that have prompted me to write this post after so long. The first was a straight-up call to stop worrying about what you write and just commit to it because it will change the way you see the world and make you question it when you know you have to produce a brief commentary on it every day. 

The other remark was regarding people who are productive are those who are 'ready to ship' - essentially, they get stuff out there rather than worrying about whether it's perfect. I've heard it referred to as 'done is better than perfect' before.

I get it in regard to work but for the past month I've been trying to apply it to my life more. I'm enjoying it. Here are some examples:
  • I had a bath today and if I'd listened to the voice inside my head saying that I should also boil the kettle to steam my face and put a facemask on, I wouldn't have done it. As if relaxing should be done perfectly or it's of no value. Madness.
  • This morning I retouched my toe nail colour for the third time. 
  • I've exercised probably twice as often as previous months because I've accepted that a 25min jog is better than the 45min one I was never going to do.
  • This blog post. 
For over a year now I have been saying that I want to write on here more often but I've also thought I 'should' have a format and structure and themes... ah fuck it, you're going to get what you get from now on. Just because I don't have the time to plan a blog doesn't mean my ideas don't have merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment