Friday 17 April 2015

The Tribe



Hey y'all, I'm thinking of starting something. Like, a movement.

It's an idea that's grown out of a few brain sparks mixed with things I really like, including:

- brown paper packages tied up with string
- discovering new things in my neighbourhood that I never knew were under my nose
- food, in all shapes and sizes
- remembering how powerful my choice of shopping venue is
- pretty shiny things
- talking about and endorsing people who make pretty shiny things 
- receiving mail that isn't a bill

And the idea that I'm forming is this: 

1. I'm going to hunt for people who like the things I've mentioned above. 
2. I'm also going to hunt for people making or selling quality things in the lower Blue Mountains. 
3. Then, I'm going to connect the two with a quarterly package hand-delivered to the former's home, filled with things from the latter's. 

So every three months, subscribers in Glenbrook, Blaxland and Mount Riverview will receive a package on their doorstep with a variety of contents from florists or artists or bakers or butchers or crafters or illustrators or whoever else is worth talking about in the lower Blue Mountains. And because the stuff chosen for the packages will be scrutinised by me and my remarkably low tolerance for tatt, the items will inspire and delight you and, not least, change the way you shop.

Because we are powerful ladies and gentlemen. What we talk about and where we shop and what we buy has a flow-on effect and I am tired of low-quality, half-arsed items being shoved in my face by companies who have bought the right to interrupt my daily life. Especially when I know there must be better right here in my neighbourhood. 

So, the hunt is on.*

*And I'm pretty darn excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment